Live looping has become a popular technique among musicians for its ability to create captivating performances in real-time. There are many different foot pedals for live looping and controlling Ableton Live. If you’re interested in incorporating live looping into your music you are in the right place. In this blog about live looping with Ableton Live, we’ll walk you through the process step by step on how Live looping with FCB 1010.
Getting Started with FCB 1010 and Ableton Live
Let’s briefly introduce the key components of our setup for Live looping with the FCB 1010.
- FCB 1010: This MIDI foot controller offers versatile control options but requires some tweaking to optimize it for Ableton Live and MIDI mapping.
- Ableton Live: Our digital audio workstation of choice, providing a powerful platform for live performance and creative music production.
- FCB1010 Foot Control Max for Live Device: A M4L plugin which offers a seamless integration for the FCB 1010 with Ableton Live
- One Button Live Looper Max for Live device: Max for Live offers a variety of devices tailored for live looping. We’ll focus on the One Button Live Looper, designed for intuitive live looping within Ableton Live.
Setting Up the Control Device for the FCB-1010 MIDI pedal
The FCB 1010 Control Device is a M4L device designed to enhance the functionality of this MIDI foot controller within Ableton Live.
Here’s how to configure it:
- Installing the Device: Begin by adding the FCB 1010 Control Device to your Ableton Live set. This device acts as a bridge between the FCB 1010 and Ableton Live, enabling seamless integration and control.
- Mapping Global Controls: Use the FCB 1010 Control Device to assign global controls like tempo tapping, metronome toggle, and transport start/stop to specific pedals on the FCB 1010.
- Creating Layers: Utilize the FCB 1010’s multiple layers to expand control options, enabling you to manage different aspects of your Ableton Live set efficiently.
You will find a more detailed set up guide on the FCB 1010 Control Device HERE!
Setting Up the One Button Live Looper
The One Button Live Looper is a versatile Max for Live device. It will simplify the live looping process within Ableton Live Session View. Performers can seamlessly record, playback, overdub, and manipulate loops in real-time, enhancing their creativity and spontaneity on stage. Its intuitive interface and visual feedback make it an essential tool for musicians.
Setting up the One Button Live Looper in Ableton Live is straightforward:
- Installation: Add the One Button Live Looper and the provided template to your Ableton Live User Library
- Load Template: You can drag and drop a the looper template tracks into your Ableton Live set
- Activation: Activate the One Button Live Looper by clicking on its interface or triggering it via MIDI input. Once activated, you’re ready to start recording and looping your audio in real-time with just one button press.
You will find a more detailed set up guide on the One Button Live Looper HERE!
Connecting the FCB 1010 Control Device with the One Button Live Looper
- Configuring MIDI Routing: Begin by ensuring that the MIDI output of the FCB 1010 Control Device is routed to the MIDI input of the track containing the One Button Live Looper. This ensures that MIDI messages from the FCB 1010 are received by the One Button Live Looper track.
- Assigning MIDI Notes: In the FCB 1010 Control Device, set up MIDI notes to correspond with specific actions within the One Button Live Looper. For example, assign MIDI notes for record, play, undo, and delete actions.
- Activating MIDI Input in the One Button Live Looper: Within the One Button Live Looper track, ensure that MIDI input is enabled and set to receive the MIDI notes being sent from the FCB 1010 Control Device. This allows the One Button Live Looper to interpret the MIDI messages and trigger the corresponding actions.
- Testing the Connection: test the connection by pressing the designated pedals on the FCB 1010. You should see the One Button Live Looper responding accordingly, initiating recording, playback, or other actions as programmed.
By establishing this connection between the FCB 1010 Control Device and the One Button Live Looper, you create a powerful live looping setup within Ableton Live. This integration allows for intuitive control and manipulation of loops in real-time, enhancing your performance capabilities and creative expression.
Saving and Recalling Presets in Ableton Live for Live loop with FCB 1010
In addition to configuring your live looping setup, you can save and recall presets in Ableton Live for quick access to your preferred settings. Here’s how:
- Saving Presets: Once you’ve configured your FCB 1010 Control Deviceand One Button Live Looper, and any other devices or settings, save the Ableton Live set as a preset. This saves the direct MIDI Note IN mappings, loop configurations, and other settings for future use.
- Recalling Presets: When you want to use your live looping setup again in another Ableton Live set, simply drag and dop the tracks from the Ableton Live project folder. This automatically restores all your loop control configurations, allowing you to pick up right where you left off without the need for manual reconfiguration.
By saving and recalling presets in Ableton Live, you streamline your workflow and ensure consistency across your live performances.
Using Max for Live opens up a world of possibilities for live looping with FCB 1010. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can elevate your live performances to new heights. Whether you’re a seasoned performer or just starting, this setup offers flexibility, control, and endless potential for musical expression.